It wasn’t exactly the way Kennedy’s Sarah Lasecki wanted to prepare for the state team tennis tournament, but at least she’ll be there with her team and with a doubles partner for the third straight year.
Although she lost both her singles and doubles matches in the regional finals against Linn-Mar on the Kennedy courts Saturday afternoon, Lasecki’s teammates picked up the slack.
They combined to topple the Lions, 5-3, in the Class 2A regional final to advance to the state team tournament for the fourth straight year and the 10th time in the last 13 years. The Cougars (13-3) have been to the state semifinals eight times during that stretch.
Kennedy will play Washington in a first round state meet match Monday at 3 p.m. at Jefferson.
Meanwhile, Lasecki will team with Lindsay Minder next weekend in state doubles competition. As a junior, it will be Lasecki's third time at state with her third partner.
She finished third as a freshman with Christina Goeddel and fourth last year with Kali Hildebrand. Both losses came against teams from Muscatine.
Lasecki has been named to the MVC division first team the last two years and was on the second team as a freshman. She was picked on the all-Metro team her first two seasons.
Until she and Minder lost to Katie Rakers and Jenna Myers of Linn-Mar Saturday afternoon, the duo had been beaten only twice this season.
“We make a good team,” said Lasecki, who plays No. 1 singles for Kennedy. “I’m better at doubles than singles, and I like it better, too. I get to play the net more. And that’s what I enjoy most.”
Kennedy Coach Joe Benedict said it’s been a good combination this year. “They complement each other,” he said. “They’re able to play off each other’s strengths.”
Despite the setback Saturday, Lasecki said she’s confident going into state doubles play. That meet is May 31 and June 1 at the University of Iowa in Iowa City.
“It all depends on the draw we get,” she explained. “We were lucky the last two years we didn’t get the big guns right off.
“Lindsay and I are playing real well. So I’m hoping we’ll go pretty far.”
Linn-Mar blanked Mason City/Newman, 5-0, in the regional semifinals Saturday. Kennedy advanced with a 5-0 victory over Waterloo West.
KENNEDY 6, LINN-MAR 3
1. Katie Rakers (LM) def. Sarah Lasecki, 6-3, 6-2.
2. Jenna Myers (LM) def. Katherine Thompson, 7-5, 6-1.
3. Lindsay Minder (K) def. Ashley Smith, 6-4 3-6, 1-0.
4. Alexa Mitchell (K) def. Mackenzie Luehring, 6-0, 6-1.
5. Rachel Gilman (K) def. Gabi Botsford, 6-4, 6-7, 1-0.
6. Melanie Abzug (K) def. Emily Jones, 2-6, 6-1, 1-0.
1. Rakers/Myers (LM) def. Lasecki/Minder, 6-3, 6-2.
2. Mitchell/Thompson (K) def. Smith/Botsford, 7-6, 6-1.
3. Gilman/Abzug (K) def. Luehring/Jones, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0.
LINN-MAR 5, MASON CITY 0
1. Katie Rakers (LM) def. Adriana Velez, 6-0, 6-0.
2. Jenna Myers (LM) def. Ashley Gutting, 6-0, 6-0.
3. Ashley Smith (LM) def. Rakiah Bonjour, 6-2, 6-1.
4. Mackenzie Luehring (LM) def. Ashley Cordle, 6-1, 6-2.
5. Gabi Botsford (LM) def. Ashley Rottinghous, 6-1, 6-3.
6. Emily Jones (LM) def. Heather Hines, 6-1, 6-4.
|< Prev||Next >|